Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hey Cucumber! Knock it off!


First you'll need a quick language lesson then I'll tell you a funny story. The word in the language I'm learning for donkey is "Himaar" and the word for cucumber is "Khiyaar."

Roomie P was awakened in the middle of the night by a young man who wanted to pursue a conversation with her once he realized she was a foreigner. Well, that's just extremely inappropriate so she intended to call him a "Himaar" ('donkey'), but slipped up accidentally and called him a "Khiyaar" (cucumber). Not so intimidating. It's interesting the way our brains work in associating words with each other that sound similar, especially when you're tired!

So now in our house we occasionally like to randomly yell..."Hey Cucumber! Knock it off!!"

4 comments:

Rcpeab said...

I hope you are keeping a diary!

Alisa Kelleen said...

funny that i have similar stories from here in the states and i only live in ALABAMA!

love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, our word for cucumber is the same! That's fun!
Lauren

David Lindy said...

We had a Swedish breakfast in our hotel in Poland, in which we had cucumbers, among other things. But I'm not sure if they were Polish cucumbers or Swedish cucumbers, but it's great that we didn't have Polish, or Swedish!, donkeys! Phew...Polish is hard enough...try to spread a donkey on bread and cream cheese for a snack. Skpye?, my just as busy friend.