Saturday, August 11, 2007

You might not believe me...

A few things that are hard to believe...

1. I am actually updating!! Now that the craziness of summer is over, hopefully this will be a more regular thing.

2. My roommate recently went to get her driver's license here and in the course of doing that she had to sit through a "safe driving" lecture. That in itself is unbelievable, but here's what they told her she needed to do before getting in the car to drive:

a) Sleep well.
b) Eat a light meal (don't get too full or you'll be sleepy)
c) Have all your documents in your front pocket.
d) Walk around the car to see if there are any animals, children or any old men sleeping underneath your car.

Yes, that last one actually applies. I have seen all three of these things here...welcome to the 3rd world! I wish I had a picture, and we are currently on the look out for that.

3. I feel like I made a small dent for the feminist movement here today. I threw on my big "Jackie O" sunglasses, scarf and black robe as usual:



Then as the mini-bus pulled up it was fairly packed, though there was one "woman's seat" open squished next to two women on a little bench in the middle row of the mini-bus. When I saw the front seat was also open, I went ahead and hopped in next to the driver (women usually only sit in the middle or back seat, and city women never sit up front with the driver). What's unbelievable it is progressive (or at least from my Western perspective) to take the front seat on public transportation!

4. Tomato-Watermelon Salad is absolutely delicious! I had my suspicions when I heard the name too, but it's an amazing treat we discovered in one of our American magazines recently:

Recipe for Tomato and Watermelon Salad:
5 c cubed watermelon (or you can do chunks w/ a melon baller)
1.5 lb cubed tomatoes

Sprinkle that with 3 T sugar and 1/4 t salt

Then in a separate bowl mix:
1 small red onion, chopped or sliced (as you like)
1/2 c red wine vinegar (you can substitute with another kind if you don't have this)
1/4 c olive oil

Mix it all together and let chill for 2 hours.
Top with cracked black pepper to taste.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber! It was great to read an update! Way to go on the bus move, it made me smile. :)

Jennifer said...

"City women never sit up front with the driver."

Does that mean you're being a village lady again?

Anonymous said...

Wow Aretha would be proud...R-E-S-P-E-C-T!
As for the old men sleeping under the car, that could happen anywhere in FL!
Recipe looks great. Miss ya!
Sharon