Monday, May 29, 2006

canoe...

So I had this experience this week that reminded me of these days (<--) in my life. When I was a little kid my grandpa, my dad, my older sister and I would take canoe trips down rivers in Michigan in the summer. They would give my sis and I bags of Cheerios and sit us in the bottom of my grandpa's historic restored hunter green canoe. The inside of this canoe is some of the most beautiful wood I have ever seen. For hours I would be mesmerized by the little swirls and ripples a properly maneuvered paddle produces.

My dad and I went out in my 'rents canoe this weekend and all that came flashing back into my mind as I saw the little swirls in the water then the drips coming off the end of the paddle creating little ripples in the water. We went back into the mangroves behind the condo and after tight passages we ended up in what seemed a magical little world in the midst of the mangroves. Then we came upon a little wooden bridge and turned to go under it. We came out into Tampa Bay on the other side of the mangroves from my 'rents house. I had no idea where we were headed the whole time we were making our way through narrow places and skillfully, or sometimes not so on my part, avoiding tree branches etc. However, when we came into what seemed a magical river trapped by the mangroves and then out into the Bay I couldn't help but feel special and loved for being taken to such beautiful and surprising places.

Now, you know this is going somewhere because I am me and well, that's how we do. But the whole time I was also thinking about being a child in the unshakable Kingdom and how He really does want to bless His kids and be made more famous through them. Often the journey seems confusing and we're asked to do things we don't understand (like reaching up grabbing a tree branch and being instructed to pull down hard because that will turn the boat the way it needs to go), but somehow when we're obedient we're led exactly where we need to be and along the way that often includes surprises that are beyond what we could have dreamed up to happen. It's time for us to look at the world, watch and be amazed! (that's from the Book!)

This is us in our neighbor's kayak a few days later. Let's just say more lessons, maybe for another day. Mostly - if you want huge muscles in your arms go get a kayak.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Man, I bet you were a handful as a little kid. You just have that look in your eye.

Anonymous said...

It's funny how I read your blog to catch up with you and I end learning so much in return. Thanks for that! =) Love ya!

Rcpeab said...

You keep rowing that canoe, P. Love Moses