I just finished reading Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller and a good chunk of the book reminded me of when my family went to the Grand Canyon four years ago. My sister and I walked down a little bit on the Blue Angel Trail to watch the sunrise. It was amazing - something I'll never forget.
The one true sign of discipleship is intimate oneness with Him – a knowledge of Jesus that nothing can shake. –Oswald Chambers, from My Utmost for His Highest, August 16
He knows us by name. That’s where Chambers starts and he ends with this statement. Living here has convinced me that “a knowledge of Jesus that nothing can shake” is worth the process of sanctification. For a long time I thought I was in the middle of refinement, but today I realized all of the sudden that it is quite possible this was all just a time of preparation for the real business of sanctifying. It’s like He’s always saying – you weren’t as far as you thought, the cost you’ve paid is the beginning. There is more. Maybe it’s time to be willing no matter the cost – even those things I have held so closely. I had a thought last night that for some reason there are hopes and disappointments I choose to keep close and could very well be getting in the way. “A crushed spirit who can bear?” That’s one of my favorite proverbs. In any case, I’m not really sure where all this is going besides to say suddenly everything that seemed a deep refinement is really just like peering over the Grand Canyon, but when you look at a map or fly over in a plane or even hike it you know there are canyons upon canyons and peering over the edge or walking a couple switchbacks on the Bright Angel may seem deep, but the more you learn, the more there is. So I realize today we’ve just walked a couple switchbacks. There is much more to do. I wonder what will I find on the rest of the way down and do we have to hike back up another unfamiliar way? Maybe. But so far He has provided whatever I need at every step. He has not been slow to reassure that He indeed loves me and is pursuing me with His redeeming love. A certain feeling comes over me at times like this – a heaviness of heart, but also a knowledge that my sin and His grace has brought me here. I am already a new creation and forgiven. I am also being more equipped to fulfill my purpose for existence. I can’t wait to see the sunrise from inside the Grand Canyon again. This metaphorical one and the real one. I may have to preempt a trip my dad promised me if I ever get a doctorate and just go with a friend when I get back to America. I'd love to see those painted deserts and the Pacific coast again. Daydreams for now, but it’s part of a longing for real home that can only be fulfilled one day far, far away. Such big places are the closest thing to His majesty I so long to lay my eyes on. He has given us expressions of Himself. Amazingly enough a trip to the canyon doesn’t provide a glimmer of what my community shows me about Him. We are, after all, created in His image. So for now, my mirror and my friends will suffice to be my Grand Canyon sunrise. Maybe one day I’ll have both. In all this, I’ve been learning the significance of walking closely with Him. I love how Chambers puts it and it’s my desire for you. Look around at the believers in your life and see Him there, see Him in the sunrise, and settle down long enough each day just to gaze on some reflection of His beauty. It’s worth it.
3 comments:
Dear Amber: What a rich blessing your tender words are to me. Thank you. GrammaNita in Largo
Amber, I enjoyed reading your blog today. I will probably come back and read it over and over the next couple of weeks. :) The words you put here have been an encouragement to me. By the way cool picture! ~Becky
Learning about you is like a switchback. Thanks for sharing,I think one day there will be at least one book with your name...
Post a Comment